Conventional period products use toxic chemicals such as:
- BPA and BPS—which disturbs embryonic growth and are associated to heart disease and cancer.
- Phthalates—a chemical that disrupts gene expression and is used to smooth tampon applicators.
- DEHP—causes numerous organ injuries.
- Dioxin-suppress the immune system, an endocrine disruptor, and promotes abnormal tissue growth in the abdomen and reproductive organs and abnormal cell growth throughout the body.
- Artificial colors, polyester, adhesives, polyethylene (PET), polypropylene, and propylene glycol (PEG)–are hormone disruptors and promoters of cancer, birth abnormalities, vaginal dryness, and infertility.
According to Dr. Joseph Mercola:
Synthetics and plastic restrict airflow and trap heat and dampness, potentially promoting yeast and bacteria growth in your vaginal area. Besides crude oil plastics, conventional sanitary pads can also contain other potentially hazardous ingredients, such as odor neutralizers and fragrances. (Women Beware: Most Feminine Hygiene Products Contain Toxic Ingredients, Dr. Joseph Mercola).
Don’t worry; there are safe non-toxic alternatives. Not only are these non-toxic alternatives great for your health but also the environment and your bank account too. So here are 18 non-toxic feminine hygiene products to try on your next period.
*I did not include all the feminine hygiene products each company has to offer. For information about each company, click the company’s name and for information about the products shown below, click the image. There is no company website for numbers 4, 5,and 18.
Disposable Pads & Tampons:
Free & Clear Organic Cotton Tampons
Free & Clear Maxi Pads
2. Natra Care
4. Love My Antibacterial Bamboo Fiber Mama Cloth/ Menstrual Pads/ Reusable/ Panty Liners
Bamboo Reusable Sanitary Pads
6. Luna Pads
7. Period Mate
A “multicellular living organism that grows on the ocean’s floors all around the world” according to Sea Sponge Company. Learn more about sea sponges here.
10. Jade and Pearl
Disposable Period Cups:
12. Soft Cups
13. The Flex
Reusable Period Cups:
14. Cleo Cup
15. Diva Cups
18. Athena Cup
Thanks for reading!
Subscribe To Learn About:
Nutrition + Fitness + Women’s Health + Other Healthy Living Tips !